Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you feel "happy" without caffeine?
11-22-2014, 03:04 AM
Can you feel "happy" without caffeine?
When you finally beat caffeine withdrawal, were you able to feel the same level of "happy" that you got when you were drinking caffeine? For example, my mood literally comes from my caffeine. Like, to feel happy I need to have caffeine.

I've tried giving it up 2 or 3 times before, and I'm going to give it another shot! This time I've planned out the time and I'm gonna go for it...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 12:34 PM
RE: Can you feel "happy" without caffeine?
Hey,

Thanks so much for creating this thread, because it will give a chance to help anyone else in need.

I can tell you that the answer is 100% yes. And in fact I am MUCH more happy now that I am off caffeine.

The fact that your happiness is dependent on caffeine is not good! You should not need to be addicted to something like this just for happiness. That's like how heroine addicts are only happy on heroine.

All that being said -

How do you feel when you drink it? Does it effect you negatively? I know we talk about going caffeine free, because in the LONG RUN it does make you better, but if it's not effecting you negatively, it's not all that evil. If you only have a few cups a day and you really can't live without it, you could always just drink it so fear not.

But how does it make you feel?

Also how long have you been on it and how long were your attempts at quitting before? The brain takes time to heal.

Sean Russell is the owner and operator of MenProvement.com and this forum. He is a self improvement enthusiast who loves to help others improve their lives while enjoying his own.
12-10-2014, 06:45 AM
It depends on the source of the caffeine? Like, green tea gives me a more calm effect yet I'm still alert and feel positive. Green tea, though, especially if I've been drinking stronger coffees, doesn't totally get rid of the caffeine headache so I might have to drink 2 cups of green tea, and even then the "strength" of coffee isn't there when drinking green tea. Usually caffeine makes me feel positive, if that makes sense. Certain coffees make me very energetic and buzzed. Some coffees also cause a crash sort of feeling as the hours pass. I just feel burned out after a few hours as the buzz wears away.

Even though coffee usually makes me feel energetic, I usually feel an underlying fatigue. I'm not sure if this fatigue is something I'm already dealing with, and the caffeine masks it, or if the caffeine might be a cause of the fatigue.

I've been addicted to caffeine for about 7 or 8 years. The longest attempt at quitting before was probably like 2 months. I had gotten over the "withdrawal" phase but I think I didn't get over the psychological addiction and that's what caused me to go back. I just didn't feel as excited or energized without it. In fact, I had slight headaches in the morning still. I told myself I'd just have a cup or two and somehow I was back to drinking it.
12-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Hmm yeah its a tough situation, like your not great with it but not great without it.

The only long term solution is to go without it until you are great, because over time your neurotransmitters will normalize and you won't be dependent on caffeine and can have natural energy. But it can take a while.

But if staying on caffeine is doable and makes you feel good you can do that.

And the source of caffeine does make a difference. Green tea contain L-Theanine, which is very calming and helps you focus.

This is a personal choice you have to make!

Sean Russell is the owner and operator of MenProvement.com and this forum. He is a self improvement enthusiast who loves to help others improve their lives while enjoying his own.